Subject: Re: [Leica] the "other" f1
From: Dr.Alexander.Kraus@gmx.de
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 15:01:54 +0200 (MEST)

[Canon EF f :1.0/50mm]

A couple of years ago there was a comparisson of the Canon lens and
Noctilux. Shots of a test chart at f:1.0 were shown side by side. *If* the shot with
the Canon lens was *really* taken at f:1.0 (which is what they claimed), the
Canon lens was clearly superior to the Noctilux at full aperture.
It exhibited much less vignettation and showed fine details with more
contrast. At 5.6 they were about equal. Beeing a former Noctilux-owner, the test
chart of the Noctilux at 1.0 looked very authentic to me. I was not surprised
to read that the Canon lens was appearently better. After all it is a very
recent design that employs not only more lenses, but also aspherical lenses. And
it has a significant larger diameter. Thus, it seems reasonable to me that
in the Canon lens optical abberations are better corrected and vignetting is
reduced as compared to the Noctilux.
Nowadays, I prefer the Summilux-Asph. to the Noctilux, as I often needed a
wider angle. When I compared pics which I took with the Noctilux with f:1 and
1/15s and with the 'lux-Asph. at f:1.4 and 1/8s, the Summilux pics were
always better. The DOF of the Noctilux at f:1.0 is so shallow that the slightest
move of the camera between focussing and the release of the shutter results in
some unsharpness. So even if the Noctilux would perform great wide open, it
would be very hard to get the same results without tripod. Of course the same
is true for the Canon lens.
Best regards,

Alex

http://www.gmx.net

- --
GMX Tipp:

Machen Sie Ihr Hobby zu Geld bei unserem Partner 1&1!
http://profiseller.de/info/index.php3?ac=OM.PS.PS003K00596T0409a