Subject: [Leica] Re: scratched lens
From: Summicron1@aol.com
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 12:32:31 EDT

oh for crying out loud -- this is way overkill.

If you got a good price that means the lens was not sold as "mint" and you
did not buy it as "mint." So ease off and take a breath.

Two little scratches will not hurt the images a bit. Any defects you see in
negs will be your imagination taking your fears and making them whole -- the
mind WILL do that.

Relax. Ted Grant is right -- take pictures, enjoy them, forget the scratches.
If you use the lens at all it will acquire a few more over the years, and you
won't notice those either. I have a 35mm Summaron M with a fingerprint etched
into the coating of the rear element and have never, ever, had a problem with
the lovely images it has given me. I have other lenses with scratches of use
over the years, and the images remain teriffic.

Why should you not worry? A little scratch such as you describe can't block
any appreciable amount of light, and can't cause any appreciable amount of
flair. So forget them.

charlie trentelman