Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Metol
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 13:58:07 -0700

><Snip>
>
> metol sensitivity builds up quickly and when it kicks in, it's VERY
> unpleasant. Itching scabbing yuk.
>
> as I discovered when I mixed my own D23.
>
> --
> John Brownlow
>
> http://www.pinkheadedbug.com

You got off easy John some people when they get Metol sensitivity that's it for
them in the darkroom. They break out in a rash when they touch the door knob!
It's good that just the use of rubber gloves gets you off the hook. It does me.
I try to avoid breathing any of it or touching it.
I was just reading in Ansel Adams 1983 THE PRINT and he does not use tongs but
uses his fingers in his trays!!!
Found that surprising it was not as if he was inflexible in his darkroom
techniques. He was always modernizing incredibly.

That's why some people extol Phenidone.
Most formulas can have .1 gm of Phenidone replace 1 of Metol/Elon.
And it keeps better than Metol/Elon. And is more superadditive.
Give me Metol/Elon any day the stuff is gorgeous.
Just look at your prints you make from Selectol soft with is all Elon no Hydroquinone!!
And D23 is simplicity and elegance in itself. Very teakable! Beutlers is Metol
showing it can be as sharp as Rodinal without the grain effect.

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA

http://www.rabiner.cncoffice.com/