Subject: Re: [Leica]Rain
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 15:05:25 -0500

>><Snip>
>> Actually I have been trying to figure out how to do some decent 'rain'
>> photography.
>>
>> sl
>
> Rain moves a lot faster than you think it does. You can maybe get it at your
> highest shutter speed but maybe no. At 125th it wont look like rain it will
look
> like fog.

Here in the mid-Atlantic during the summer we get these incredible afternoon
thunder/rain storms, like standing in a shower.

> And at 1000th even with Neopan 1600 you may not get enough depth of field with
> the aperture you have to end up using.
> Some of the best rain shots I've gotten with a flash.
> (Also good for astrophotography on dark nights)
>
> the flash goes off at a 20/000 of a second and will capture the rain.

Good advise.

> I got sleet in the air and ground though with my Leica.

Wonder if I should get a Nikonos?

> Frozen ice must fall much slower i was amazed i got it.
>
> IN Hollywood the rain only exists a few feet from the camera. I hear they
don't
> shoot in real rain because it does not look like real rain.
>
> Perhaps a garden hose would help out that project?

Yes Hollywood uses a garden hose.

> Mark Rabiner
> and a water truck
>
> Portland, Oregon
> USA

What I am thinking though is not trying to photograph the rain/water, but
the effects of rain, water logged people, people with umbrellas, splashes in
puddles, etc, etc

Thanks Mark,

sl

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica]Rain)