Subject: Re: [Leica] changing focusing screens in the R8
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 07:15:55 -0700

Dan Honemann wrote:
> R--the one without the split-image aid.  I was wondering how difficult it
is
> to change screens.  Can it be done easily on one's own, so that switching
> between these two screens on a regular basis is feasible?  Or is it the
sort
> of thing that is best left to a trained service person?<<<<<

Hi Dan,
It can be done easily with caution and I've done it with different R cameras
over the years, as well as changing the screens in my R8's. However, there
is for me, always a gut tightening in fear of ... "What if I screw-up this
time?"

I sure wouldn't approach it on the basis of "switching between screens on a
regular basis" simply because once you have the ground glass screen in
you'll never want to go back to the standard screen. And on the R8 the GG
screen is all you'll ever need unless you are doing specialized shooting
requiring grids.
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant