Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Warranty & New vs. Used
From: "Richard W. Hemingway" <rheming@attglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 11:00:02 -0500

Eric,

>I'm planning on buying gray market from now on because I don't see any
>advantage to paying more for the kind of support Leica USA offers, though.
>I'd rather pocket the extra savings and use that to pay Sherry for any kind
>of quality work I need.

I would pay extra for passport warranty on the R8 and extended warranty.
However, I don't on the M6 and have never had any trouble.  BTW I find that
"used mint to mint-" lenses from a reputable dealer are the best way to go
for lenses.  You rarely will have a problem with a lens and it should be
apparent when you receive it.  There are several great repair people to
send your M6 to if you have trouble if you don't want to send it to Leica
on the 1 year international warranty.  I would like the warranty on the
electronics of the R8 and I don't know if any independent Leica repair
people work on the R8.

Just my 2 cents

Dick Hemingway
{lano, TX