Subject: Re: [Leica] Warranty & New vs. Used
From: John Collier <jbcollier@powersurfr.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 08:34:55 -0600

Copy of a message from another bulletin board:

There are items from the official distributor, properly imported items and
then there are graymarket (unused in a sealed box) items. Items bought
though the proper distribution channels from the official distributor will
be fully supported by the official distributor for the length of time
specified (Canada, USA and others have a three year passport warranty).
Properly imported items are purchased through proper channels in another
country. They will be supported in any country for the Leica two year
warranty period (they will bill the originating country for the repairs who
then bill Leica AG). The final source is the infamous graymarket which are
items sold outside official distribution channels. For what ever reason, the
importer sells the items and offers no support whatsoever (generally into
another country). They maintain no repair staff, parts stock or any other
expensive services that the distributor has to offer. Thus they are able to
sell the gear cheaper than official distributors. If your graymarket item
requires work and you send it to the official distributor for repair, they
will check its serial number to find out if it was sold though proper
channels or not. If it is a graymarket item, they will repair it but charge
you for the repair. Some other manufactor's distributors will refuse to work
on any gear that is graymarket (Nikon is a one example). If you buy
graymarket make sure that the store you purchase it from is willing to
support the items for a satisfactory length of time and has access to good
Leica repair technicians. I personally would not buy a graymarket body nor
super highspeed lenses as the likelyhood of adjustments and repairs being
necessary is higher than with accessories or moderate speed lenses. You get
what you pay for. I like good support and I am happy to pay for it.

Replies: Reply from "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com> ([Leica] Re: Warranty & New vs. Used)
Reply from "Kevin M. Bell" <newsgroups@camera-collectors.com> (RE: [Leica] Warranty & New vs. Used)
Reply from "Richard W. Hemingway" <rheming@attglobal.net> (Re: [Leica] Re: Warranty & New vs. Used)