Subject: [Leica] metz 45 v Viv 283 WAS something about red dots I think
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 15:38:11 -0400

on 6/1/01 2:54 PM, Mark Rabiner at mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com wrote:

>> No. The Metz 45 was the standard flash before the 283 came out and continued
>> to be so for many afterwards. The 283 didn't "change everything", what
>> finally changed things for the better was faster flash sync speeds on pro
>> SLRs.
>>
>> --
>> David Morton
>> dmorton@journalist.co.uk
>>
> what!? you mean those potato mashers?
> I think over here they disappeared fast once the Vivitar came out!

I have both a 45 and a 283. Notwithstanding the brilliance of the 283, the
potato mashers are great for three reasons.

First they put out a humungous amount of light. They should really have a
deep throbbing KABOOM sound effect when they go off. I metered f/32 @ 400
asa from a bounce off a wall 3m away on Sunday.

Second, the swivel head is great.

Third, they really improve the handling on certain cameras, eg my
supergraphic. The torch handle thing you can really get hold of, unlike a
lot of those INCREDIBLY overpriced custom flash brackets.

The way the flash body slips off the bracket is really neat too.

I also feel any hotshoe mounted flash is a bit insecure, even if it clamps
like the 283.

(the metz is easier to hold free in your hand if that's your bag too)

- --
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com