Subject: Re: SV: [Leica] Two new pix/Now 35/1.4 pre-asph
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 11:24:03 -0400

on 6/2/01 10:50 AM, Steve LeHuray at icommag@toad.net wrote:

> hmmmm.....that is curious about the 35/1.4 being *extremely* soft. Early on
> with my weekly PAW I was going through an 'available darkness' phase and
> posted these three photos all with the 35/1.4 pre-asph and at 1.4. They are
> probably not up to ASPH standards but I did not think the results was to
> terrible. Would love more discussion on the 35/1.4. Please look:
>
> http://www.streetphoto.net/photo_of_the_week/wk4a.jpg

well I didn't say anthing about anything being terrible, but even in the
first object it's only the centre which is approaching sharp. The tyical
hazy blur kicks in about halfway out. It's very nice! It's just not sharp is
all. Look at the table bottom right... it's all hazy! Also although the
women's faces are distinguishable in the jpeg I bet there is nothing there
beyond the impression of a face...

the shot that persuaded me to ditch the 35/1.4 non-asph was on a london tube
train. There was a guy who looked EXACTLY like a corpse with a grinning
death's head. It was a wonderful shot but he was about 20' away from me. I
got the picture exactly (several times in fact) but when I pulled the film
out of the fix, he wasn't there. I mean, he was, but there just wasn't
enough detail in the face to make the picture 'read'. It would have been a
good picture if he had been sharp, but instead he was just this nice
romantic soft fuzzy glow.

The problem was compounded by the fact that he was sitting under a light so
he was flaring out as well.

on the ASPH it would have been a good picture.
- --
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: SV: [Leica] Two new pix/Now 35/1.4 pre-asph)