Subject: RE: [Leica] A Red Dot story
From: "Carleton, Sam" <Sam.Carleton@FMR.COM>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 09:42:17 -0400

As not to upset any luggers, the full posting is below, this is what I am
focusing on:

- -:> The other down side with these guys wanting all
- -:> the twitchy things is, they probably couldn't
- -:> afford a Leica if Leica installed them! The camera
- -:> cost more than enough as it is and everytime
- -:> something is added the price goes up, not by a
- -:> dollar or two, but by a whole bunch of dollars.
- -:> And what follows?

I have been trying to figure out why folks had such a problem with adding
something like a higher flash sync to the M6. I understand that they don't
feel the need for it because they don't use a flash, but then there are a
lot of features on my F5 that I don't use, but I don't mind if the camera
has the features.  Why should I care if the camera has functionality that I
don't use?  The F5 does for me what I want it to, thus I use it and love.  I
don't moan and groan because it does MORE then I need it to.

I think I have it now why folks are moaning and growing about making the M6
a better, more modern camera.  As Ted stated, he would not be able to afford
the new M6, along with the others moaning and groaning.

Giving the M6 a faster flash sync would not make it require batteries, would
not give it any auto anything. I do believe a higher flash sync would also
result in a higher top shutter speed.  In all respects the camera would be
the exact same as what you non flash photographers are using today, with the
exception of the cost, it might go up a few hundred.

If Leica where to upgrade the flash sync, I will be the first one on the
waiting list for it.  I CAN AFFORD a Leica.

Sam