Subject: Re: [Leica] a lunatic flash technique... try it.
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 20:50:39 -0700

Johnny Deadman wrote:
>>> Anyway, now I share a technique. Everyone knows you can bounce the flash
off
> the ceiling, and walls to the left and right of you, but next time try
> this...  ...... fire the flash backwards.
>
> yeah it sounds ludicrous but if you are standing about six feet from a
wall
> you will get a beautiful diffuse frontal lighting, real beauty shot stuff.
>
> You'll lose a couple of stops but most flashes are overpowered anyway, of
course everyone
> will also think you are completely off your trolley  that guy's shooting
his flash BACKWARDS!

Hi John,

I did that many years ago when we used the big wet battery Mutiblitz
strobes, big heavy mothers that packed a blast of light and it, as you say,
created the greatest light effect, soft and gentle, very beautiful for
women.

The first time I tried it in the Chateau Laurier Hotel in Ottawa I had
someone come to me and say, "Excuse me, but unfortunately I don't think your
snaps will turn out, you had your flash pointing the wrong way."

"Oh my goodness thank you, I hadn't noticed." ;-) Then went right on
shooting while the guy kept a watchful eye on this lunatic photographer
pointing the light the wrong way.:-)

It's very interesting light and may I make a suggestion for the "flashers"
give it a try. :-) It sure beats the hell out of big black wall shadows!~
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant