Subject: [Leica] True Confessions
From: Jim Brick <jim_brick@agilent.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 09:05:05 -0700

When I joined the LUG, many years ago, I could not for the life of me, see
why people would use a range finder camera. I had three R7's and a gaggle
of lenses from 15mm to 350mm and extenders.

My first real camera was a Rolleicord when I was 15. 1953. I used some B&W
but mostly Ektachrome and processed it myself. E2 I believe. Long arduous
process. In late 1959 I went to Brooks Institute of Photography where the
view camera is king. Used a 4x5 for two years, sold the Rollei and bought
an Alpa. In 1962 I bought a Hasselblad. All ground glass cameras,
Hasselblad, Graphic View II, Alpa.

One of the main thought processes learned at Brooks was that in cameras
like a view camera, Hasselblad, and Alpa, the ground glass is completely
representative of the film. A flat 2D plane that shows exactly what will be
on the film. DOF is completely viewable. No guessing. I venture to say that
since Brooks (40 years) I have not used a ground glass camera without using
DOF preview except for the "Happy Snap" times.

I hear frequently "when I stop down, I can't see anything." Well, I went
through that in 1959 and after a few mess-ups, I learned the secret. Even
though my eyes are 63 years old and not nearly as good as when I was a
young pup, they can still see DOF on a GG when the lens is stopped down. To
me, using a GG camera without taking advantage of its inherent
capabilities, makes no sense. I would not own a GG camera that did not have
DOF preview.

I used GG cameras exclusively (mostly Leica R) until 1996. I believe that
is when I joined the LUG as a Leica R user. One discussion back then was
"should R users be allowed on the LUG?" In late 1996 I had the opportunity
to buy an M2 with a damaged pressure plate for less than $500. I bought it,
bought a new pressure plate ($20), replaced the damaged plate, bought a
very well worn 35/2 (2nd generation) and started to play with the M2.

I discovered a different kind of photography.

Photography that could easily capture urban life as well as static scenes
where DOF is not a dominant factor. I soon graduated to a black M6 and
35/1.4 ASPH. Then another M6, chrome. I treat these cameras as "carry
around" cameras. Photograph anything, anywhere, anytime. They rarely see a
tripod. But my GG cameras (Leica R, Hasselblad, Linhof 4x5 Technikardan)
live "only" on tripods.

It is amazing what you can photograph when carrying a Leica M camera that
you cannot photograph carrying an SLR. The M framing allows you to see a
large scene and frame the important part for the photograph. With an SLR,
you cannot see what is outside the frame. This is why I like the .72 over
the .85 M6. More to see. And when photographing in this mode, DOF is
irrelevant as it is the subject of the photograph that needs to be in
focus. Everything else can fall where it is. A very enlightened
dissertation on this type of photography was recently given by Erwin. When
photographing static scenes, simple (and informed) use of the DOF lens
scales will tell you what you need to know.

The SLR/M techniques can indeed crossover. Brian Bower very successfully
uses an M camera for landscapes and Ernst Haas was extremely successful at
depicting life using an SLR. Likewise with many LUG folks.

The bottom line for me is that I like large film sizes. All of my serious
GG photography is done with a Hasselblad and Linhof. My Leica R will see
little use, if any. My M cameras will do what they are good at doing.
Photographing life. A slice of time. Where you are. What you are doing.
Perhaps why you are doing it.

Jim