Subject: RE: [Leica] RE: Soliciting recommendations for full-size tripods
From: "Rodgers, David" <david.rodgers@xo.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 14:23:33 -0500

Noel,

>>I was wondering if any of you had hit upon the right combination of
features,
portability and rigidity, and whether you had any thoughts regarding
aluminum vs. carbon fiber. <<

I have four Gitzos, all different sizes. I'd hate to be without any one of
them. I have a little weekender. It travels well. but it's not the sturdiest
of beasts. The cameras I use it with; Leica M, Rollei 35S, and Rollei TLR.
It's not much good above 4 ft high. With any leg extension, it's too light
for my R gear.

I'm using larger tripods more and more, even with my Ms. Seems carbon
fiber's the way to go. Don't have one yet, but I will soon. Something with 1
inch legs, or there abouts, and legs that extend above 5 ft.  Some people
don't like to use a center column at all. I don't mind, if it's a big tripod
and an M or R. 4x5's another matter.

Recommend you get a good ball head, too. Right now I'm shopping for good
quick release solutions.

Dave