Subject: RE: [Leica] A Red Dot story
From: "Edward Mortimer" <munkfishy2k@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 22:17:12 -0000

Although I'm not 100% sure but I would imagine its because Leica use a cloth
shutter which apparently is the better for reliablility and overall shutter
'life'. Nikon on the other hand use a metal vertical plane shutter and it is
this I think that allows for higher flash sync speeds not possible with the
cloth type. Although the Nikon is a fine shutter, (average life of 150,000
clicks before service I think I read somewhere) the leica is more like
400,000. So, and I'm only quessing again, I would presume Leica would prefer
to stick with a shutter with better longevity over one that allows higher
flash sync purely because Leica and their products are renowned for it.
What do you think?

Regards Edd