Subject: RE: [Leica] Digital cropping
From: "Rodgers, David" <david.rodgers@xo.com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 15:35:41 -0500

Ed

>>I think that if an image warrants a crop to make a good composition
or exclude some unwanted subject matter then certainly cropping should and
can be used, and sometimees to good effect<<

"To crop or not to crop" dates back to my days in journalism. I never quite
got the issue resolved. I've never been averse to cropping. I do it all the
time. As you say, sometimes it's to good effect.

The problem now is that with digital I think I think I'm overcropping. When
I knew I had to make my prints in the darkroom my goal at the point of
exposure was that I would print full frame. Just like Henry alluded to in
his post. But I've noticed lately that I'm getting very lazy in my picture
taking. I'm not framing as carefully. It's as subtle as not taking the extra
moment to consider compostion before I snap the shutter. Why? Perhaps
because I expect to crop. It's so easy.

I think that I'm pointing and shooting more. It's really apparent when I try
making silver prints, like I did over the weekend. My D2 doesn't extend high
enough. And no black borders. I always got such satisfaction printing full
frame and feeling like I couldn't improve anything by cropping.

Dave