Subject: Re: [Leica] High Altitude Photography
From: Tom Finnegan <TomF@piengr.com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 13:10:48 -0700

We were thinking about taking the Kautz Glacier route (or Furher
Finger). I have heard that there was not much snow up there this year -
is that true? We will be getting there on June 14th and play it as it
goes for the ascent.

How are the conditions?

Thanks for the photo tips.

Cheers,

Dave
********************

It has been a low snow year this winter. This might mean a few more
crevasses to negotiate crossing the Nisqually glacier, and the chute above
Camp Hazard may be icier than normal as might Fuher Finger. Bring both ice
screws and snow pickets. I would hesitate to do the finger route unless it
was cold as it tends to get a fair bit of rockfall - wear helmets.

The Kautz route is very photogenic and there are great views all the way up
to Camp Hazard. The only 'problem' with the Kautz route is that it can be
pretty hard on the body to go from sea level to 11,400' in one day. The
climb up to Camp Hazard (11,400') from Paradise (5,400')is also quite the
workout. Try and pack light and maybe even consider climbing up to Hazard
over two days to help acclimitize.

We'll be doing either the Kautz or the standard tourist route. I've been on
the Kautz three times and have yet to make it to the top: weathered out
twice (blizzard conditions), and a sick member of the party the third time
(it also turns out he failed to mention that he was afraid of heights!). I
do have some nice Leica pictures from the three trips though.

Tom Finnegan
Seattle