Subject: [Leica] High Altitude Photography
From: Malcolm McCullough <MM4@mm-croy.mottmac.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 18:08:00 +0100

Dave Mason asked
<<
Can anyone with experience offer some advice on high altitude mountain
photography? I have an R3 with a 35mm, 50mm ,and 90mm - I should
experience a great deal of light if the weather is good as there are
large glaciers.

Should I stick with a 100 ISO? Should I work mostly with the 35mm? Any
tips on composition?

Are there any risks to my camera at altitude (besides dropping it off
the side)?

Dave,

Travel light! I'd leave the 50 and 90 behind. My favourite camera for
climbing etc is an M with a 35 mm or a Rollei 35T (not the TE - more
difficult to use one-handed because it doesn't have the external meter
needle) which has a 40 mm lens. The simple lens performs well in contrasty
bright conditions. Many second-hand R35s have dings because they were the
most popular climber's camera by far and lived near the chocks, pegs and
screws festooned around the harness.

ISO 100 is fine, except for the fact that it isn't Kodachrome. In the hills
(traditional British climber-speak for what others call mountains) I've not
used anything other than Kodachrome 64 since it became available - and that
is what I would suggest using.

Given the number of sharp metal objects arranged about your person and all
other things to worry about (smearing sun cream everywhere, falling off,
getting scared, being sick, avoiding falling rock and ice, psyching out,
losing the route etc etc) I add a protective filter, usually an 81A to warm
up the harsh blue light.

In bright light on ice or snow I choose a patch of the sky or my hand to
meter on. At dawn and dusk I meter off the snow itself. Moonlight is about 4
minutes at f3.5 with K64, starlight about 30 minutes. For self-timer and
long exposures I carry a little ball head that fastens into a hole in the
blade of my axe or the tip of a mountain ski.

Don't be afraid to shoot into the sun, or even to have the sun in the frame,
but do take care of your eyes.

Enjoy the magic, fleeting, aethereal moments of wonder and don't worry too
much about trying to record them. They are themselves eternal.

Regards,
Malcolm
PS Don't eat the yellow snow.