Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Cleaning Marks/ Recoating
From: Disfromage@aol.com
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 14:21:28 EDT

In a message dated 5/27/01 10:50:59 PM, douglas@dysmedia.com writes:

>Some reputable experts suggest that if you have a lens recoated at Focal
>Point, it will be better than new (or at least as good).  Ken Ruth (another
>legendary repairman) told me that it's impossible to grind and recoat a
>lens
>without doing damage.
>
>I am, in short, confused.  Anyone have hard facts regarding this?

Douglas,
I am not an expert, and I have no hard facts, but....  I have a DR Summicron
that I bought cheap that had cleaning marks and or scratches on the front
element.  I sent it to John VanStelton at the Focal Point to be polished and
recoated.  Before he worked on it the lens was virtually unusable because of
flare.  When I got it back it looked like new and performs wonderfully.  The
difference is nothing short of amazing-flare is almost nonexistent.

Richard Wasserman