Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Cleaning Marks/ Recoating
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 16:12:53 -0400

> >Some reputable experts suggest that if you have a lens recoated at Focal
> >Point, it will be better than new (or at least as good).  Ken
> Ruth (another
> >legendary repairman) told me that it's impossible to grind and recoat a
> >lens
> >without doing damage.
> >
> >I am, in short, confused.  Anyone have hard facts regarding this?
>
> Douglas,
> I am not an expert, and I have no hard facts, but....  I have a
> DR Summicron
> that I bought cheap that had cleaning marks and or scratches on the front
> element.  I sent it to John VanStelton at the Focal Point to be
> polished and
> recoated.  Before he worked on it the lens was virtually unusable
> because of
> flare.  When I got it back it looked like new and performs
> wonderfully.  The
> difference is nothing short of amazing-flare is almost nonexistent.
>
> Richard Wasserman

I'd say that your experience makes you an expert ;-)

I send a Biogon 38 to John to have it re-coated, and fungus cleaned off the
middle element...well, needless to say, the lense is as new, of not
better...since the coating is far harder than the original coating it had in
the first place.

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Cleaning Marks/ Recoating)