Subject: [Leica] Mistake #1487
From: Disfromage@aol.com
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 22:22:37 EDT

This past weekend I returned from a trip to New York where we gathered with
our far flung family.  When I got home I went to the basement and set the
JOBO to spinning to stabilize the temperatures of the various chemical
solutions.  After about an hour I returned and loaded 6 reels of HP5+.  I
don't know about anyone else, but I load film with my eyes closed as it seems
to help me concentrate.  I needed to because I'm still not comfortable with
plastic reels after using stainless steel for decades.  Anyway, after I
loaded the last reel I opened my eyes and turned around only to discover that
I had left a safelight on since the last time I printed several days before.
This safelight reflects off the white ceiling for general illumination, so my
film was all fogged nice and evenly.  I developed the film as usual and I'm
hoping to be able to print through the fog; we'll see.  If anyone is
interested it does seem to be a good technique to control contrast-these are
VERY flat negatives.

After processing black and white film for more than 35 years, I thought I had
made all the possible mistakes.  It just goes to show, it is never too late
to learn something new.  Why does this kind of thing always seem to happen
only to the irreplaceable shots?

Crying in my developer,
Richard Wasserman

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Mistake #1487)