Subject: digital or film (was: Re: [Leica] Useful discussion or black tape?)
From: Douglas Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 13:53:24 -0400 (EDT)

- ------Original Message------
From: "Joe Codispoti" <joecodi@thegrid.net>
To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Sent: May 18, 2001 5:13:39 PM GMT
Subject: Re: [Leica] Useful discussion or black tape?

<SNIP>
given the on-going discussion that digital imaging does not
pose a serious threat to film, how can we reconcile the fact that Jay Meisel
has switched completely to digital and exposed only one roll of film in the
last year?
I am sure that "one roll" is an exaggeration, yet I find it meaningful that
a photographer of Meisel stature has committed his reputation to digital.

Comments welcome, taped or not.
Joe Codispoti
<<<

IMHO digital image capture has lots of potential but I'm not going to commit
100% to it for a very long time, partly because of the uncertainty re:
archival format, media, etc., partly because I'm paranoid about battery
and/or electronic failure, especially after a 5-hour hike to an alpine lake
in search of some elusive critter, and partly because Kodachrome hasn't
completely disappeared.

The potential lies in the instant feedback, the ability to adjust color
balance, contrast and ISO on-the-fly, and since 100% of my printing is now
digital it would eliminate a step in the process.

None of my photographs are so time-sensetive that I need quick turnaround;
in fact the delay in sending PK36 mailers to New Jersey is only a nuisance,
never a deal-breaker.

Jay Maisel's reality is very different from mine: he has deadlines to meet,
and clients who are interested primarily in using the photo NOW, not in 20
years.  I suspect Jay can also afford to pay someone to keep his image files
archived on the latest media.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com