Subject: [Leica] New 21mm Elmarit M
From: bampolsk@csc.com
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 20:52:33 -0400

Hello everybody,

Well, I just bought a new in box, but manufactured several years ago,
Elmarit-M 21mm, Part Number 11-134, Serial Number 3269099.  I'd like to
find out exactly when it was made since I retain this information on all my
lenses and bodies.  Unfortunately, Rogliatti's "Leica and Leicaflex Lenses"
only goes up through 1980, and the last serial number specified there is
3013601.  Anyway, can someone provide me with the "year of birth" or point
me to a site containing that information.  The only site I have ever seen
containing serial numbers, contained only serial numbers of bodies.

Anyway, I purchased this lens on a whim from the Camera Bar in Hartford,
CT.  If anyone lives in Connecticut or the Northeast, this is a great,
full-service camera shop.  The staff is knowledgeable, friendly and
helpful.  And, they will spend time with you.  That kind of personal
service can't be found very often these days, so I thought someone might
like to know.  So, I purchased the 21 elmarit on a whim, but I'm still
awaiting delivery from Leica of the 28 Summicron I bought by design at the
Camera Bar's Leica day sale.  Hopefully it will arrive before my annual
pyramid climb in Guatemala.  I can't wait to get to the Great Plaza of
Tikal with these pieces of glass.

Cheers and thanks in advance for any information...

Brian Ampolsk

Amateur Archaeologist
Amateur Epigrapher
Amateur Leica Photographer