Subject: [Leica] Re: mechanical shutters
From: "Robert Appleby Personal" <rob@robertappleby.com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 09:46:23 +0200

Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 20:50:01 -0700
From: S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net>
thought some of you might want to know about this:

I have an R6 whose shutter took a dive a few months ago. Apparently they
are not rebuildable. The shutter had to be sent to Leica for an
exchange. I was told that the shutter might even be Japanese. The
failure was at 1/15 and at 1/30, where it stuck at 1/8. All the other
speeds were fine. The shutter apparently hits a piece of plastic at one
point of its cycle, not sure when, as I can't recall that part of the
conversation. With use this piece of plastic gets gummed up and makes
the shutter stick, possibly creating the problem I had. Nearly $500.00
later, I wondered why I didn't just get the R6.2 or just another
Leicaflex SL.
Lesson in this, is that even the mechanical gear is as prone to failure
as the electronic gear, of the more recent vintage that is.

Best,
 Slobodan Dimitrov

Slobodan, the same thing happened to my R6 a coupe of years ago due to (so i
thought) very high temperatures at a brick kiln. Standing on top of the kiln
with several 100,000 bricks firing beneath me I suddenly found I had to keep
smacking the camera with my hand to get the shutter to fire. Eventually
(after a couple of minutes) it completely froze. This was annoying as it had
taken a couple of days negotiating to get into the lpace in the first
place - one thing the owner was worried about was the child labour issue,
and the place was full of kids, not labouring, but doing odd jobs.

So that was annoying. The repairman in Calcutta told me same thing you said,
which is that the shutter hits a kind of plastic or silicon vibration damper
which can melt or gum up (I have no idea whether this actually so). He
simply scraped this part right off and the
camera worked like new again. It cost me about $50 to get fixed - not cheap
for India, certainly, but still better than $500!  But I moved to M's not
long after, partly for
this reason, the second R6 to die on me that year. But mainly for the better
focusing.

My wife's F3's have never had shutter problems - wind-on problems instead.
But my suspicion is that if you want real accuracy and reliability, complex
mechanical mechanisms are not the way to go.

That said, my M's have never had any mechanical failure problems, and
they've been in some pretty bad weather, hat and rain. But that kiln was
hot. Damn hot. Even the labourers, who were mostly barefoot, were wearing
thick leather sandals up there!

Talking of India, I met a Leica-toting newspaper photographer there last
month. He has a couple of M6's with ancient collapsible 50 and 90 lenses,
and a 24 asph. He said the one lens he used most was the 24, which is why he
sold his aged and feeble parents into slavery to be able to buy it. And who
can blame him - that is a great lens. I think he must be the only working
news photographer to use Leica in India.

Rob.