Subject: [Leica] re: ethical dilema
From: Kyle Cassidy <cassidy@netaxs.com>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 22:06:38 -0400 (EDT)

ernie sez:

>Kyle - Have to admit that when I read your email dilemma I thought a
>tempest in a teapot but then I went to the page and saw your photos and
>reconsidered - those are some nice pics!!

hey, at the PLUG we don't screw around. (i take that back -- actually,
screwing around is almost all that we do.) (thanks, btw)

>I think the dilemma is whether you want to put yourself in the position
>of having to make mulitple reprints and do you charge for your time.

truth of the matter is i hate being in the darkroom, so i'll make zero
prints for anyone. i'll just hand over the negs at some point in time and
let them do as they will with them. i never charge for photos that i don't
think fall beneath the silly little umbrella of "my art", if i do it, for
whatever reason, it's a freebee. i say let the poor slobs at photomat make
the prints.

>photographer.  If he regrets not having done B&W informals that's his
>problem - next time he should hire you to wander around, drinking and
>eating and sporadically taking Kyle Pics.  Anyway your photos have spured
>me onto trying my best in three weeks for my son's graduation from High
>School.

i'd actually rather shove a burning stick in my eye than photograph a
wedding, it's just not my scene. and it's WAAAAY too much responsiblity
for someone as irresponsible as me. i could never take the pressure, i'd
fold like a house of cards that someone dropped a battleship on. some
people are excited about it and do a fantastic job -- i would cut my
throat before the garter got tossed. (either that or the best man would
beat the snot out of me because i was chanting "skin to win! skin to
win!") the only thing worse than photographing a wedding is _being_ at a
wedding. so if i have a camera, i at least have something to do to pass
the time. therefore, the only weddings i actually photograph are ones that
i have to go to anyway....

good luck w/ the graduation! be sure to share your pix....

(which reminds me, b.d. colen's really good at photographing every day
events and making stunning photos -- i remember some pix he posted a year
or so ago of a _funeral_ that had me saying "wow, what great pix of a
funeral!" i think everybody who's going off to photograph a graduation or
something would be inspired by taking a look at his images of life as we
know it.)

best of light and all that,

kc