Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica/photographing birds
From: Douglas Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 11:30:46 -0400 (EDT)

- ------Original Message------
From: "tm" <leicar8@earthlink.net>
To: Leica Users Group <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Sent: May 16, 2001 3:06:40 PM GMT
Subject: [Leica] Leica/photographing birds

I am scheduled to join others in a bird shooting venture (birds in trees
only) this Saturday. Would those of you with experience re same please
advise me which equipment to bring? I have the old 400 f/6.8 and the old 350
f/4.8 as well as the 180 f/2.8 APO. I also have the 2x APO extender.
Regarding bodies, I have an old R4, an R7, and, my favorite, the R8. Since
the 400 and 350 are older CAM styles, I might not get f stop and shutter
speed displays in my R8's viewfinder. Therefore, should I leave the R8 at
home and bring the R4 or R7? Thanks for your responses.

Terry
<<<

Definitely use the R8!!  Use the R8 and 400, leave the lens at f/6.8 and
don't worry about what the viewfinder says.  If you're working from a
tripod, use the 350 with or without the 2x.  Depending on the particular
birds, it's possible that even with the 2x on either the 350 or 400 you'll
be wanting more focal length.

Of the camera bodies you have available, my choice (in order) would be R8,
R7, then R4.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com