Subject: Re: [Leica] Stalking Shakespeare
From: "Tom Schofield" <tdschofield@email.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 16:08:30 -0700

I have had a fair amount of experience with poorly and variably lit theater
photography, from my children's dance, drama, choir, etc. performances over
the years.  You will definitely want very high speed film, and if you can, a
narrow-angle spot meter.  The brightly lit performers against a black or
white background can easily throuw your meter off.  Lighting also varies
throughout the stage, so a reading at center front of the stage will
probably not be valid toward the rear or sides, and lighting will change
from scene to scene, if not minute to minute.  There can also be dark holes
in spots of the stage.  Hopefully, the professional programs will be better
lit than many I have experienced, but you never know how creative they may
be trying to be with the lighting.  Different colored gels are used for
lighting on each light, so you can almost forget about trying to color
balance.

I found that close-ups of the performers are usually much more pleasing than
overall shots of the stage, especially when you are using high speed film,
since detail of faces, costumes are lost in the grain in overall shots.  The
90 will probably be the wide angle, and the 135 the normal.

If you are shooting from the audience, it can also be challenging to
maintain a line of sight clear of heads.  Fortunately, as long as you are
not using flash, they will mostly be silhouettes in the forground.  People
will inevitably shift position, and sit up straighter when something
exciting is happening, getting in your way.

Theaters may also (likely) have restrictions against photography, including
available light.  They want you to buy their books, afterall.

Tom