Subject: [Leica] Stalking Shakespeare
From: norman_milks@mailg.pribilofs.k12.ak.us (Norman Milks)
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 14:21:48 -0800

While at an Oxford seminar this summer I will be viewing about 10 of
Shakespeare's plays.  Utilizing the "guerilla" techniques of street
shooting that I have learned from this group, I would like to
discriminately photograph a few scenes from each of these plays to show my
students the "real deal" when I return to school next year.  Some of the
theatres I will be attending are the Globe, Swan, Royal Shakespeare
Theatre, Royal National Theatre.  I'm thinking that by discretely using
the "quiet alternative," I would not create distraction.  OTOH, I am a bit
reluctant, for, to incur the wrath of an unforgiving theatre manager could
prove to be a costly embarrassment.  I have attended performances at the
Globe, and am not concerned there as I've watched the P/Sers flash-away.
But the RST and RNT are not at all "touristy."  Have any of you ever done
this?  I'd appreciate your experience and advice.

I have learned here that stage lighting is extremely varied, and of
course, flash is not an option.   What high-speed color slide film would
you recommend if I were to do this?  My traveling kit will consist of:
15:4.5, 28:2.8, 35:2, 50:2, 90:2.8, 135:4, and an M6 TTL 0.72.  The 15 and
28 might create an interesting perspective from the balcony of the Globe
with its attendant groundlings, but what lenses would you suggest
(realizing that this would be dependent upon my seating) that I use at any
of these other theatres if I were to try this?

Thank You

Norman
St. George Island,
Deep within Beringia!