Subject: Re: [Leica] OT Grouping (was Picture taking technique)
From: Kip Babington <cbabing3@swbell.net>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 12:52:25 -0500

In my 45 or so years of target rifle shooting (off and on) in the US
I've not heard the term "precise" used as Malcolm uses it.  Perhaps it's
an artillery term.

For target shooting, the "accuracy" of an individual weapon is the
measure of how close to a single point it will deliver multiple shots.
Where those shots fall with respect to a specific target is controlled
by adjustment of the sights, which are usually assumed to be adjustable
to move the actual center of group to the intended target (not always a
correct assumption, but that's a different point.)

When you say a rifle will hold the 8 ring it means that it will
consistently keep its shots within a circle the size of the 8 ring (if
the shooter does his part) but will NOT shoot consistently into any
smaller circle no matter how good the shooter.  The more accurate gun is
the one that will shoot the smallest groups consistently, and it's up to
the shooter to get the groups onto the target.  In this sense,
"accuracy" is the same as Malcolm's "precise."

BTW, the target air rifle and pistol I've bought over the years both
came with a target demonstrating the inherent accuracy of the piece at
10 meters, the standard international competition distance.  These are
fired from machine rests at the factory, so there are no variables
except for the individual weapon.  In both cases, 5 shots went through a
hole that was not visibly larger than a single pellet (0.177"/4.5mm.)
I've read somewhere that for pure inherent accuracy, the top level air
rifles lead the list.

Cheers,
Kip