Subject: [Leica] OT Grouping (was Picture taking technique)
From: Malcolm McCullough <MM4@mm-croy.mottmac.com>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 17:40:00 +0100

Henry wrote:
>>> Its like comparing target rifles. One is capable of putting all its shots
>>> in the X ring (the very center), the other capable of putting all its
>>> shots in the 8 ring. Which one would you pick to shoot in a match?

Dante replied:
>>How close together are the shots in the 8-ring?!  You asked a trick
>>question!  If they're any closer together than the size of the X-ring,
>>I'll take the 8-ring rifle and adjust the sights.

Then Henry replied to that:
>Only a trick if you never shot!
>Imagine concentric circles larger and larger.
>The X is in the middle, then the 10 then 9, then 8 and so on.
>I want a rifle that will hold the X ring.
>(the more accurate one)
>
>Henry

I understand what Dante meant - and I think he knows about shooting!
He was referring to what I know as 'grouping'  - ie how close the shots fall
with respect to one another, not with respect to the target.
If the spread of shots is closer with the rifle that hits the 8 ring than
the one that hits the X ring,
then the 8-ring rifle is more precise. It just needs its sights adjusting to
become accurate as well.
The X-ring rifle may be more accurate to begin with, but it is less precise
and adjustment may not help.

Rule 303 applies.

Regards,
Captain Outrageous, Royal Artillery (Retd)

Replies: Reply from Kip Babington <cbabing3@swbell.net> (Re: [Leica] OT Grouping (was Picture taking technique))