Subject: Re: [Leica] Konica facts
From: Stephen Gandy <Stephen@CameraQuest.com>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 08:34:51 -0700

Very interesting,  but a few questions.

#1  how many Hexar's were examined, and what were the serial numbers ?
Konica may have corrected the problem in later bodies.

#2  this problem has been discussed on the LUG.  On Feb 4, 2001  Akhil Lal
made a LUG post entitled "Re: Min. focus accuracy of Leica lenses and the
Hexar RF"  which according to the message header, was also emailed directly
to you separately.  In that email Bob Shell is quoted as saying the Hexar
back focus is not identical to the Leica M, and a Rollei list thread
questioning the back focus is also referred to.

#3  According to a friend of mine who works as a consultant with Konica, the
problem is not so much an intentionally chosen different back focus, but how
the in some cameras the COMBINATION of individual tolerances of different
parts can COMBINE to unacceptable levels, ie a combination of parts all with
the larger tolerances will combine to make too large a total tolerance.
This is another way of describing the mechanical tolerance issue you make
note of.

He told me that not only is Konica Japan is aware of the problem, but they
are taking in cameras to be adjusted to Leica M tolerances and adjusting
them for free.  I emailed Konica USA on this several weeks ago, and got the
same response from them that I got in February after Akhil's post --
nothing.

#4  So, it would seem to have a good idea to have individual Konica Hexar
cameras tested for back focus to M specs, until at least a large enough
sample confirms how common this problem is.  It may exist with some cameras,
but not others.

Stephen Gandy