Subject: Re: [Leica] OT Rollei advice sought
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 18:58:52 -0400

At 10:30 PM 5/2/2001 +0100, Gerry Walden <gerrywalden@cwcom.net> wrote:
>Basically there is a Rolleiflex with a 2.8 Tessar. The body number is
>1130551. The camera is marked DRP DRGM. Condition is fairly good although
>it wants lenses cleaning and the Rollie equivalent of a CLA. There is an
>instruction book and leather case.

This is a Rolleiflex 2.8A, first lot, made between 12/49 and 2/51.  This
model is relatively rare, only 7,870 having been built.  A lot depends on
the provenance of the lens:  it can be a Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar T or a
Zeiss-Opton Tessar T.  If it is the first, it is slightly more of a
collectible, as most of the Jena Tessars were replaced by Franke & Heidecke
with Zeiss-Opton Tessars.  Value?  These puppies float around $300 to $450
on e-Bay.

>Also there is a Rolleinar Planar 3.5/Xenotar 3.5 with a case and box marked
>202 030 GUODO and the same with the box marked GUPUN.

This is a close-up lens set, the middle size (technically, a "Rolleinar 2")
for the GUODO and the weakest size ("Rolleinar 1") for the GUPUN.  These
are in Bayonet II to fit the 2.8A Rolleiflex.  Value?  Between $25 and $50:
 they are rather common and were still available new from Rollei within the
past decade.

>Also a Rolleikin kit in its box and parts still wrapped in paper, a Rollei
>plate adapter 'kit' which is pretty near mint, and a Practical Accesories
>booklet.

This is a 35mm film adapter.  Rollei made a variety of these (3 models?) to
fit different cameras, and I've never studied them.  Value should be around
$25 or so.

>There is also what I can best describe as exposure calculator and case. It
>is made in germany by Bewi and is marked Patent A. It is like a
>mini-telescope but I cannot work out how it works yet. There are scales
>along the barrel with a rotating chrome slider.

This is probably a Bewi extinction meter, also marketed by Leitz.  Value?
$10?

I would appreciate the full information on the lens, including full serial
number, for the Zeiss Historica Society archives.

You might consider subscribing to the Rollei List, our sister group, and
posting these for sale there on a Friday.  We have a couple of avid 2.8A
fanatics there who would be interested!  (To subscribe:  send to
<majordomo@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>, no subj:, and "subscribe rollei" in the
body of the message -- mutatis mutandis, just like signing up for the Leica
Users' Group!)

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!