Subject: [Leica] PAWs for weeks 16 and 17 (Nathan)
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 23:37:38 +0200

The last two weeks of my life were marked by the death of my mother, and
so my PAWs for those two weeks are related to that event. In taking
these pictures, I have not so much strived for photographic excellence,
rather I have chosen these two because they express my feelings and
represent something which has dominated this period of my life.

First, week 16. On Wednesday April 18, in the afternoon, I talked my
mother and my sister into taking a drive along the coast south of
Copenhagen. My mother was very weak and did not get out of the car, but
she enjoyed the drive nonetheless. The picture was taken in the elevator
in my parents' apartment building, on the way out:

http://www.geocities.com/belgiangator/16.jpg

Not the most flattering pose for my sister, but this is the last picture
I will ever get to take of my mother. Less than 3 days later, on
Saturday morning, she died.

In between making funeral and other arrangements during the following
week, i.e. Week 17, I took time to visit the places that I had visited
many times with my mother. Most of these places are along the coast
south of Copenhagen. My mother loved to walk along the beach, and the
place where my week 17 picture was taken is the closest beach to where
she lived, about 2 km from the apartment. The place is called Vallensbęk
Strand. I have photographed my mother several times on this bench, and
now the empty bench represents the sense of emptiness in my life.
Perhaps corny but true.

http://www.geocities.com/belgiangator/17.jpg

Comments are welcome and appreciated as always, although I must admit
that more than any of the others I have posted, these pictures are for
myself.

My complete PAW portfolio is at:

http://www.geocities.com/belgiangator/pawindex.htm

Nathan