Subject: RE: [Leica] BE AWARE OF CRAPPY CURRENT LEICA QUALITY CONTROLS!!!!
From: "Dan Honemann" <danh@selectsa.com>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 11:43:01 -0400

Barney,

I feel your pain.  I've been fence-sitting on an SLR system for months now
(and keep happily snapping away with my M in the meantime).

If your primary interest is in close-up photography, the decision is really
much easier.  Buy the Leica R8 and 100 macro-elmarit R and be done with it.
Reasons: (1) you want manual focus for macro work, and the R8 has the
world's best viewfinder and focusing screen (IMO, of course); (2) you can't
do any better than the 100/2.8 macro.  Well, okay, if you need to go 1:1,
then you have to use an ext. tube, but the glass is second to none.  The 60
macro also has an excellent reputation.

Yes, it's expensive, but only rich folks buy this glass new.  Get it grey (I
recommend Dr. Joseph Yao, a fellow LUGger and fine gentleman) or used.

Best of luck,
Dan