Subject: [Leica] Schliemann was certainly rich enough to own Leicas if they had existed then.
From: Jim Hemenway <jim@hemenway.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 19:44:20 -0400

Dan:

I am in NO WAY a scholar on this subject but here goes...

Dan Post wrote:

> I wonder- did Schliemann have a 'gut' feeling about Ilium?

Do you mean its real location?

Or do you mean did Ilium actually exist in antiquity or was it really
part of a myth?

Maybe he had a gut feeling of becoming famous.

I think that he had been convinced by his reading/understanding of the
Iliad and also by his meeting Calvert that Hisarlik was the location of
Troy. I would also think that he was also influenced by Sophia, who I
once read, he had married because she had completely memorized both the
Iliad and the Odyssey, (if this is the only reason he married her then
he was also very driven or shallow or both). I would guess that he
wanted her to be with him as a living reference.

I found the book which I referred to below to be the best so far for my
understanding of the subject and an enjoyable read as well.

To my simple mind, a book on this type of subject is only good if it
doesn't put me to sleep.

Michael Wood also made a television series based on the book, you might
find it on VHS in a library somewhere.

Jim

Replies: Reply from "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com> (Re: [Leica] Schliemann was certainly rich enough to own Leicas if they had existed then.)
Message from S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Even Worse Than Scotches: IE Linguistics)