Subject: [Leica] OT - lobsters
From: Mark Langer <mlanger@ccs.carleton.ca>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 9:51:24 EDT

I usually kvetch when off topic threads deal with scotch, Mont Blanc pens
and German automobiles, but this thread has finally moved this curmudgeon.
I'm reminded of the time I was visiting with an Acadian family in New
Brunswick several years ago.  The biggest room in their house was the
kitchen, which was the centre of all activity.  In honour of our visit,
they added several leaves to the formica table, and invited in a bunch of
relatives for a big seafood dinner, which was boiled up in large cauldrons
of seawater.  The table was covered with layers of newspaper, and dozens -
I mean dozens - of huge boiled lobsters were dumped on it, along with hundreds
of clams.

This Acadian family taught me how to REALLY eat a lobster.  When they were
through with one, the shells looked like they had been staked out on an
anthill for a month.  I ate 5 lobsters dunked in lemon butter.  At the end of
this crustacean orgy, there was a solitary lobster left, which family
members urged me to eat.  I couldn't take in another mouthful.  But I've
been haunted by that left-over lobster ever since, as I've never truly had my
fill of lobster since.

Since I didn't own a Leica at the time, there isn't a darn thing that I
can do to make this relevant to the list.

Mark

Mark Langer

Email address: mlanger@ccs.carleton.ca