Subject: Re: [Leica] Scala
From: "Michael E. Bérubé" <MEB@goodphotos.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 08:58:38 -0400

At 09:37 AM 4/3/01 +0800, you wrote:
>What is the advantage of shooting Scala?

No advantage necessarily, maybe just a preference.

>Film and processing are not widely available and expensive.

True.

>I have used it a few times and believe CN400 scans better.

I also shoot TCN normally as my B&W of choice. (As a matter of fact, that
is what is in both carry cameras at the moment.) This was my first attempt
at shooting Scala. Maybe, when I have a real film scanner, TCN will
actually scan better than Scala, but at the moment I am using the Digicopy
(thanks Rich aka Photovilla!) on my Digilux Zoom to scan film/slides
(thanks for the suggestion George L!) In my current situation, Scala and
other chromes blow away any comparison with negatives, be they B&W or Colour.

>You can't print Scala in a tradition B&W darkroom and color chemistry
>is not the ideal choice for B&W due to the color cast.  What is the point of
>shooting Scala unless your primary purpose is for projection?  Please educate
>me!

As Simon Lamb does with Scala and many LUGgers do with all work, it is my
intention to scan the slides in high resolution (myself when I get the
equipment and to have them printed to CD at Color Works until then), to
obtain the Cone ink system for an Epson 1160 and to then print them myself
on a nice heavy matte paper. I don't foresee me ever returning to a
traditional darkroom. (As much as I loved my darkroom when I had one, a
"lightroom" is just too convenient and space saving for my living situation.)

May not work for everyone like this, but I think it will for me.
Carpe Luminem,
Michael E. Berube
http://www.GoodPhotos.com

Message from "Michael E. Bérubé" <MEB@goodphotos.com> ([Leica] Week 13: SCALA! [Bérubé])