Subject: Re: [Leica] projecting vs. protecting slides
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: 30 Mar 2001 07:51:31 -0800

On Fri, 30 March 2001, "Dan Honemann" wrote:

> Someone in photo class last night said that slides will degrade over time if
> you project them (due to heat); he only projects dupes.
>
> Is there any validity to this claim?  I only have originals and project them
> occasionally (once a month or so), but my oldest slides are still less than
> a year old.  Should I incur the costs of duping these slides to protect
> them?
>
> What do you do?
>
> Dan

Dan,

If they're Kodachromes I'd get dupes made.  K-chrome doesn't hold up under heat and photon bombardment as well as E6 stuff does.  Dark storage is another matter entirely.  If you treasure your chromes I'd project dupes and protect the originals, even the E6 ones.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe