Subject: Re: [Leica] Two more
From: "Stanislaw B.A. Stawowy" <watteau@krakow.neurosoft.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 13:28:11 +0200

> A fascination with headless statues and cemetaries? hmmmm this must be part
> of a bigger picture.

:-) Remember last blue moon when I sent a wolverine ASCII picture?
Next comes in couple of weeks. Wouuuuuuuuuuu!

> >> http://www.neurosoft.net/img/cafe.jpg
> >
> > This is quite original, very good. I wonder though if something is missing,
> > somebody sitting at the table would be a distraction, maybe a candle or wine
> > bottle, loaf of bread on the table could improve it.
>
> Perhaps? It gave me a feeling which shouted "There's been PEOPLE here!" but
> they're not here now. I felt like a dog sniffing a fire hydrant. That kind
> of ambiguity makes it a good photo for me.

This is the case with other photos by me. Always come out slightly schizofrenic. Dunno why.. :)
I like to have a kind of visual uncertainity, a tension in image, made by going off  proper composition. This way has a high failure
rate, as you cannot completely predict the effect, but is also sometimes very rewarding. Photo doesn't seem like a complete picture,
but like a moment, taken out of life.

> Just an FYI Stanislaw.
> I'm on a pretty fast connection here (434k at the moment) but I haven't
> been able to download an entire image of yours from neurosoft in the last
> two days without the page timing out on me.

We have a pretty bad cable connection by now. But it will be better I hope.

> PS what temperature would you process a roll of "Foton S.A. Bydgoszcz Black
> & White 100 ISO" at?

I can only give you my own way for developing it:
Rodinal 1+30, 20 degrees, 7 minutes, BUT you put film in developer for 45
seconds constant agitation, then put a clear water in and leave for 2 min,
then back to developer for 6 minutes (two turns or one reversing every 30 sec).
Gives wonderful tonal range with this film.

> I like your cafe image, but, compositionally speaking, why cut off the left
> end and bottom of the table? You don't gain anything on the right hand
> side, though it does permit you to include the lamp on top (could you have
> moved back a bit to get both?).  The crop leaves the image looking a bit
> amputated on the left and bottom, IMO.

Yes, but also gives some unstability. This table is waiting for someone, who will move chair from table to right and equalize photo.

> Also, methinks, it would be nice if you burned in the lamp a bit.

I had a puny film :( Will maybe reshoot in future (after payday) :)

> burning the lamp in.  I agree.  Might look more dramatic.  OTOH I like the
> "claustrophobic" cropping.

Yehooooooo! You understood! "Soon ze world vil be mine!" :)
- -----
                                St.
                     (Stanislaw B.A. Stawowy)
              http://www.geocities.com/Stanislaw_Stawowy
            Echelon/Carnivore lines: Bob Black, Hakim Bey,
           Ralph Klein, Sabotage in the American Workplace