Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V19 #244
From: "vic di sylvester" <mb230@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 04:45:11

>Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 09:49:09 +0100
>From: Pascal <cyberdog@attglobal.net>
>Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica digilux zoom 4.3
>On 24-03-2001 03:44, vic di sylvester wrote:
>
> > To my surprise, they confirmed
> >that the digiulx zoom 4.3 has been discontinued "due to production
>capacity
> >& budgeting reasons".  One can read into problems with "budgeting
>reasons".
>
>This has nothing to do with Leica. The Fuji FinePix on which it was
>based, was discontinued by Fuji. That's how quickly things develop in the
>digital area right now... :-)
>Also, you may have noted that Leica only brings their Digilux series to
>market a while *after* the corresponding Fuji model has been available.
>Most probably Fuji wants to take market share before others can take it
>with their rebadged versions... And Leica is not in a position to do
>something about this since it has no relevant capabilities in that area
- --
I reacted to a direct e-mail response from Leica which stated that the
digiulx 4.3, and I quote, "has been discontinued due to production capacity
& budgeting reasons".  I think their response was very clear. I could not
assume that production capacity & budgeting reasons would be anyone else
decision but Leica's.
- --
> >The profit margins
> >will have difficulty supporting their marketing effort and operation
> >expense.
>
>Wait a minute, are you suggesting an increase in Leica product prices?
- ---------
I'am suggesting that it is necessary for Leica to increase sales which would
be reflected on their bottom  profit line and that MAY be difficult if
potential buyers read this list and see that Leica users are negative on the
company for the reasons I stated in my previous e-mail. I don't believe they
have much room for price increase for a camera system that is manual and
pricey in todays photo market place. Therefore, they must sell more product
and work on gross sales and not count on price increases which surely would
limit their sales.  I believe this is why we saw the M6 and related lens
selling at a discount.  Again, to increase sales in a soft market.