Subject: [Leica] Leica digilux zoom 4.3
From: "vic di sylvester" <mb230@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 03:44:45

I was interested in getting some information on the recently introduced
Leica digilux zoom 4.3 which replaced their previous model.  While reading
about the camera on the Leica site it was noted that this camera has been
discontinued.  I, of course, thought they were referring to the previous
model but e-mail leica for clarification.  To my surprise, they confirmed
that the digiulx zoom 4.3 has been discontinued "due to production capacity
& budgeting reasons".  One can read into problems with "budgeting reasons".
This did not have a good feel, as I was about to purchase this camera.  I
know that is a remake of a Fuji degital, but I still preferred the Leica as
I have quite of bit of Leica equipment and wanted to have a digital for some
quick e-mail stuff to friends.

I have, over time on this list, seen Leica take constant hits. Fine-thats
what free opinions are all about, but anyone thinking of purchasing a Leica
for the first time, and reading this list,  would have to have serious
misgivings on Leica's pricing and after sale service from many users
comments.  Also, the quality comparisons with some prior models to the
current M6.

In today's global economy and with the fierce competition, a company like
Leica will have a difficult time surviving with its current product line and
production, in relation to sales price on their items.  The profit margins
will have difficulty supporting their marketing effort and operation
expense.  I for one like to see Leica be able survive without lossing
control through a corporate take over that would have less regard for the
quality of their product as for the profit margin. Then we would all be
losers.  Maybe we should be more sensitive to the the profit margins which
prohibit all we expect from this small operation.  Otherwise, as we turn off
potential customers, we face the prospects of a smaller company selling and
servicing fewer products.  Or a company that we end up in the history books.