Subject: Re: [Leica] SF-20 Flash and Filter Questions
From: "clive sanbrook" <clive.sanbrook@virgin.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 09:20:30 -0000

J P Mose asked
- -----

Subject: [Leica] SF-20 Flash and Filter Questions

> 1)  My only flash is a mid 80-s Metz 45-5.  This thing is bigger than the
> camera!  However, it does have a lot of power.  I've been considering the
> SF-20 for my M6TTL.  Have any of you heard rumor of Leica releasing a more
> powerful model than the SF-20?  Are there other manufacturers that offer
> flashes that work with the M6TTL?

I dont know your particulat model of Metz gun but if it will take SCA
adaptors the 3501M will let it work TTL on the M

> 2)  Are the latest Leica filters any better than older Leica filters
> (multi-coatings, glass quality, et cetera)?  Has anyone tested Leica
filters
> against other lines for quality?

Sorry - only use Leica UV filters (Ducks quickly behind parapet)

> 3)  Another Leica expert told me to go with a print scanner rather than
> setting up my old Beseler enlarger.  I honestly don't know anything about
> the quality of scanners or digital for that matter.  Would a scanner
provide
> the same image quality as an enlarger with a high quality lens?

IMO Affordable Print scanners are way below the quality from an enlarger -
by implication they would be used to scan an already done print - or if used
with an adptor for negatives the resolution is commonly 1200 dpi - way below
whats needed for a decent print.

If you're really thinking of going digital consider negative scanners -
recent models will give around 4000DPI  - but are relatively expensive
(around 800UKP)

If you're interested there is a Digital silver list at Topica.com (mentioned
in previous post - started by Johnny Deadman)

hope this helps

Regards

Clive Sanbrook