Subject: Re: [Leica] snapshot! insult or compliment?,
From: "Douglas Landrum" <dflandrum@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 19:07:23 -0800

I recently referred to one of Doug Herr's shots of his daugther as a "great"
"shapshot."  I think of a snapshot as a photograph taken of a family or
casual activity.  Doug's shot was taken on a school outing to Yosemite.
It's a great portrait of his daughter that chronicals a time and place in
her life.  It is an environmental portrait that shows her personality
throught the frame.  It shows strong love between the photographer and
model.  To me it is a "snapshot".   But, to me, that photograph also shows
that it was deliberately exposed, selected and exhibited by a photographer
who knows his art.  Is it an insult to refer to a photograph as a "snapshot"
?  No way, it is a reference to a style not quality.  I agree with Tina,
"bad", "only" and other negative qualifiers are the insult.

Doug Landrum