Subject: Re: [Leica] quality?!
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 06:45:10 -0700

The M6 will not have as smooth a shutter release as an earlier camera due to
the extra meter switch (the TTL has two!). One thing that really "smoothes"
out the shutter release of the M6 is Tom A.'s soft release
(http://www.rapidwinder.com). I cannot tell the difference between my M2 and
M6TTL now that I have "softies" on them both. The M6TTL requires slightly
more pressure but is just as smooth.

Another "quality" difference between the newer M4-2 and up cameras and the
"good" cameras is that the newer cameras have steel winding gears (for the
Winder-M) which take a very very long time to wear in. Curiously the most
"desirable" older cameras also had steel winding gears, the MP, MP2 and
M2-M. Leica used to offer the steel winding gears as an upgrade (they still
may do)

John Collier

Replies: Reply from Mikiro Mori <arbos@mac.com> (Re: [Leica] quality?!)