Subject: Re: [Leica] quality?!
From: Mikiro Mori <arbos@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 15:57:35 +0100

At 6:45 AM -0700 01.3.20, John Collier wrote:
>The M6 will not have as smooth a shutter release as an earlier camera due to
>the extra meter switch (the TTL has two!). One thing that really "smoothes"
>out the shutter release of the M6 is Tom A.'s soft release
>(http://www.rapidwinder.com). I cannot tell the difference between my M2 and
>M6TTL now that I have "softies" on them both. The M6TTL requires slightly
>more pressure but is just as smooth.

Sure, the softie (a kind gift from Tom.A) works great to reduce the friction.

Some of my Leicaphile friends tell me exactly the same thing. I am not
fully convinced, although I do not know how the switch is linked to the
release in M6. I feel no friction/shakiness of release with my M5 that has
more complicated linkage mechanism to move the photocell arm down. If the
switch should be the cause, it might have been designed in a different way.
Does anybody know if the linkage has been modified? I have yet to try the
current TTL model which, as you and also Leica claim, should behave just as
well as older ones.

- --
Mikiro @ Strasbourg
http://arbos.silva.net