Subject: [Leica] M3/M6/Noctilux
From: "Mike Nicholls" <mikenic@cyberone.com.au>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 14:00:50 +1100

I have an M3 S/S and M6TTL (.72). Just lately I have been using only the M3
and Noctilux as my B&W "candid" setup for weddings. I would have to say it
is the sweetest combination of body/lens I have ever used. Along with the VC
meter on top and a Sekonic incident meter in the jacket pocket for the
tricky stuff, it has my vote out of a number of combinations of lenses with
M's that I can put together. The last couple of weddings I did, I left the
lot at base except for this setup and I really didn't miss any of the other
kit. I can probably blame the KISS advice from the LUG re: "using and
knowing one lens" for rethinking the way I operate. Thanks. I have had no
"traumatic" problems with focus, although I am shooting mostly f1.4 and f2
and only occasionally wide open. I like the way this lens deals with
predominantly white dress textures. Soft gradations tonally, but with
detail.

In my case, the advantage of the higher magnification of the M3 with the
Noctilux is offset a little by decreased clarity in the viewfinder in my M3,
compared with the "new" M6TTL. Side by side, there is no comparison in VF
clarity between the two, the new M6 is better. I don't believe my M3 is
fogged, but then I have nothing to compare it with. I also have far more
trouble with the viewfinder glass fogging up with my breath (or heat or
something) during periods of  high activity, than any problems than I can
detect with flare in either system. Is there something I can treat the VF
glass with?

Mike Nicholls
Canberra, ACT
Australia
mikenic@cyberone.com.au
*I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message*