Subject: [Leica] 12mm Heliar UW
From: "Mike Nicholls" <mikenic@cyberone.com.au>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 14:29:16 +1100

I have bought a 12/5.6 Heliar to use for infra-red (among other things).
Would it be practical to use a 25A or 87 gel on the rear element of this
lens, rather than dangle the big stuff off the front. I was thinking of
making a snug fitting cap/tube to put over the rear element prior to
mounting the lens. This would have the appropriate filter gel on one end. It
would need to be firmly attached to stay put and not foul the shutter of
course. The reason I am posting this is that I am not sure what effect this
will have on the light path through the lens in terms of "better or worse"
than on the front. The cost of a 77mm filter up front will be far more than
a small diameter gel at the rear, and it will also be far less obtrusive.
What is the cost though in terms of image degradation? Is it viable or not?

Mike Nicholls
Canberra, ACT
Australia
mikenic@cyberone.com.au
*My toys! My toys! I can't do this job without my toys!*

Replies: Reply from "Michael E. Bérubé" <MEB@goodphotos.com> ([Leica] PAW #11 [Berube])
Reply from Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com> (Re: [Leica] 12mm Heliar UW)
Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] 12mm Heliar UW)