Subject: Re: [Leica] Newbie- 35 & 50 lens choices and M6 vs G2
From: "mike_rivera" <mike_rivera@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 10:10:15 -0800

Hi John:

> Finally, are there any current or former Contax G users out there who
would
> care to comment on switching to Leica, or adding Leica to their "arsenal."

About two years ago I also switched from a Contax G2 outfit to M6.  I had
been using (and still do for many photos) Nikon SLR's (mainly F100, and PRO
quality, fast 1.4 and 2.8 AF-S lenses, etc.), but was looking for a smaller
travel outfit that would also provide a high-quality experience (lenses and
the general feeling of the body).  I initially chose the Contax G2 since I
was used to autofocus, autoexposure, autowind, etc.  I bought everything new
(G2, 90mm, 45mm, flash, etc.) and used it for about two months.

I had some real problems with the system:  the autofocus delay, no DOF
markings on the lenses, no focus visible in the viewfinder, the focus range
window only shows meters - not feet, never sure what it was auto-focusing
on, etc.  But, it did take very nice photos.

Anyway, after two months I decided to sell the whole package and buy into
Leica without ever even holding one.  I can tell you the lenses I own are
equal or better (35/1.4, 50/1.4, 90/2) to the Contax lenses.  I also
sometimes use a Cosina/Voit 25/4 (pretty good lens).  I love the quality
feeling of holding and shooting with the M6.

The M6 outfit is my normal travel camera, and/or low-light camera, and when
I just feel like being creative or in full control.  I still use the Nikon
F100 and fast autofocus lenses when chasing my 3-year-old, or want 5
frames-per-second, or need lenses longer than 90mm, or zoom, or am just lazy
and want auto-everything, etc.

I think most users of the Contax G system would find Leica more than an
acceptable "upgrade".

I hope this helps.

Mike Rivera