Subject: [Leica] Newbie- 35 & 50 lens choices and M6 vs G2
From: "John M. Holcomb" <jholcomb@one.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 23:09:17 -0500

Hi All

I'm new on LUG and looking for some advice. I currently own a Contax G2
outfit with which I've never been completely satisfied. I often use the G's
90 lens wide open and up close, and I find the AF is sometimes taxed beyond
its limit. The G's "return to infinity, then refocus for each shot"
mechanism is also really annoying. I will admit that I've been spoiled by
the quality of the Zeiss lenses, though, and would be dissatisfied with any
of lesser quality after getting used to Zeiss quality.

So I've decided to get an M6 35-50-90 outfit. I've done a little reading
(and lurking), and have settled on the 90 2.8 Elmarit-M. My choices for 50
and 35 are still open. My question is what are the best 35 and 50 lenses for
about $800 or less, used, in nice, clean condition. My inclination is to buy
a pre-asph 35 Summicron, and a recent model 50 Summicron with detachable
hood, as Steven Gandy suggests. I would appreciate any thoughts or input.

How do the Cosina 35 1.7 and 50 1.5 lenses compare with the Leica lenses
mentioned above? I know this might be heresy, but can't resist asking.

Finally, are there any current or former Contax G users out there who would
care to comment on switching to Leica, or adding Leica to their "arsenal."

Thanks in advance

John Holcomb

Replies: Reply from "jbflesher" <jbflesher@email.msn.com> (Re: [Leica] Newbie- 35 & 50 lens choices and M6 vs G2)
Reply from "mike_rivera" <mike_rivera@email.msn.com> (Re: [Leica] Newbie- 35 & 50 lens choices and M6 vs G2)