Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Bessa-T - let me get this straight...
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 16:54:44 -0500

At 08:58 PM 3/16/2001 +0100, Julian Thomas wrote:
>Now hold on a minite! Leica is now owned by Hermes, it is not owned by
>Leica. So should Leica stop being called 'leica'?
>Cosina bought the rights to the Voigt. name and puts out a range of rf
>products under that name why shouldn't it use a name it bought?

Apples and oranges, Julian.  First, Leica is not "owned" by Hermes:  they
simply control 31% of the stock.  Second, there still is a functioning
Leica concern, but Voigtlander went west in 1965, and there has been no
"Voigtlander" company thereafter, just a collection of intellectual
property rights, former employees, trademarks, and buildings.  Rollei got
the buildings and some of the intellectual property rights and employees,
Zeiss got the rest of the intellectual property rights and most of the
employees, and the trademark went out to bid in Rollei's bankruptcy.

I am not questioning Cosina's legal right to the Voigtlander name and
trademarks.  I am asking WHY an honest company would hide behind another
company's name.  It is rather as if the next BMW introduced came out under
the name "Studebaker".

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!