Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Books
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 17:36:22 -0800

><Snip> ll my favorite process book. Windisch was a Leica user too.
>
> An Ohaus balance, some chemicals, a Windisch manual, and seventh heaven is
> only a stirring rod away.
>
> Jim

Coincidently i just got back from the Morrison street book store to read this.
http://www.teleport.com/%7Emorrison/new.html
I got the 1951 Pop Photo Annual and the 1963. Both in perfect condition.
The 51 was the year i was born and i always wanted to see that one, let alone
have it! Times have changed! I love the Annuals and have been compiling them.
They say $1 on the outside and i shell out $20 every time!
But i do love old photo books as well as magazines.
This week i got the second Edward Weston Daybook, California, in hard cover.
Cost me 30 bucks. Now i get to read it. I read in Mexico(in soft cover) but not
the California.
The first one was the best photo book i ever read. And i don't even like Mexico.

Last week i got the first one and it was almost a first printing, and it cost me
40 bucks.
Picked up in the past month:

Painting, photography, Film by Laszlo Moholy-Nagy 1967 for 25 usd.
He taught my adviser in school, Myron Kozman. The head of the Chicago Bauhaus.
Also

The Silver Sunbeam by J. Towler, M.D.
Facsimile 1864 edition
with and introduction by Beaumont Newhall Morgan and Morgan 1969
	Collodion
	Preparation of Pyroxylin
	Ether and Alcohol
	Preparation of Nitro-glucose
	Iodine
	Iodine of Barium
a list of developers under the proper title:
Reducing agents. (In the new Anchell book the reducing agents will make your
prints or negs lighter, not darker!:)

I love the old paper the old typefaces, the hard cover, the different
perspective on techniques which have very much not changed in centuries.

Also picked up:
Calendar Model by Gloria Gale 1957
Gloria Gale is the world leading figure model. Her face and form have been
reproduced millions of times as pin-ups and on calendars. Here is the exciting,
dramatic and sincere life story of a girl who posed in the Nude to win fame and fortune
	WITH MANY ILLUSTRATIONS
Contents
The Beautiful are Damned
Never Speak to a stranger